Glenmorangie is the highland Scottish distillery that started to experiment with woods and wines finishes in the early 1980s. One of the best selling single malt whisky in the UK. Glenmorangie stands near Royal Burgh of Tain in Ross-shire. It was established in 1843 by William and John Matheson. John was part-owner of Balblair and relative of Alexander Matheson who founded Dalmore. The production of the distillery was of 20000 gallons of alcohol per year. The distillery was one of the first of Scotland to heat the was stills with indirect heat. In 1887 the distillery was rebuilt and in 1918 it was sold to Macdonald & Muir (40%) and Durham & Company (60%), a whisky broker. In 1930 Macdonald acquired the part of Durham and used most of the production in their blends. Glenmorangie was not promoted as a single malt until 1970s. In 1979 distillery capacity was doubled and in 1990 double again. Due to the light character of the new make, Macdonals & Muir was experimenting with different woods and maturation into wine barrels in order to increase the range of expressions. The owners made Glenmorange a public limited company in 1996 and in 2004 the distillery was sold to the luxury goods company, Luis Vuitton MoŽt-Hennessey. In 2008 capacity was increased to six million litres per year with the addition of four new stills. The stills of Glenmorangie are one of the tallest still of Scotland. Water used on the distillery come from Tarlogie spring and the malting was done insite until 1977. Glenmorangie was fourteen bonded warehouses, ten of them of dunnage type and four racked to eleven casks high.